How do I apply for a visa and where do I report to while I'm at Sidney?

The UK operates a points-based immigration system underpinned by the principle of visa sponsorship.

A Tier 4 visa is issued to study in the UK.  The sponsor for Tier 4 purposes is the educational institution where the student will study.  The visa is issued for a particular course at the institution.

You must apply for a Tier 4 visa prior to travelling to the UK unless you are already in the UK holding a valid visa that permits you to make an application for further leave to remain under Tier 4.

All the information you require to obtain a Tier 4 visa, what is expected of you at the University, and sponsorship duties can be found on the International Students Immigration website.

You'll also find important information on Arrival, Healthcare in the UK, and Orientation Sessions.

Termly reporting

On arrival, you will be required to bring your visa and passport to the College Postgraduate Office within seven days of the start of term.

Once term has started, you will be required to report to the College Porters' Lodge regularly with your visa and passport to complete the sign-in sheet and therefore comply with Border Agency requirements. You will be contacted at the start of each term to remind you to do this.

Please remember that you must notify the Postgraduate Office of any future changes to your visa.

Police registration

Nationals from the countries outlined on the University's Police Registration webpage are required to register with the police after they collect their BRP in the UK, and also update their details as required.

If your passport or identity card tells you that you must register with the police on arrival in the UK, you must do this within seven days. Failure to register within seven days, or to report any changes (of address or immigration status), can result in a fine of up to £5000 and/or six months in prison.

Police registration will be available in the University Centre for four days at the beginning of the academic year for students from relevant countries.

International student guide

The University's International Student Guide provides practical pre-arrival information on coming to live and study in Cambridge from an international student perspective.

Please contact the Postgraduate Office if you have any queries (B2, Hall Court).