skip to content

Below you will find information about the charges, the college bill and the funds available for graduate students.


The College Bill lists the amounts you owe the College: it is issued at the beginning of each Term by the College Office. Routine financial enquiries, such as issues with your College Bill, should be addressed to the Tutorial and Student Finance Manager, Mr David Graves (), Tel. +44 1223 7 60972).

Each Bill will include residential room charge, for those living in college, and the proportion of the Kitchen Fixed Charge (the set contribution towards kitchen overheads) for that Term. For 2015-16, the termly room-rents for graduate students were in the range of £1332 - £1650. The termly Kitchen Fixed Charge was in the range of £118.60-£165.70 for graduates living in College accommodation and £44.30 for graduates living in private accommodation.

Graduate students have to pay their University Composition Fee – or that portion of it for which they are liable – via the College, at the beginning of the Michaelmas Term.


The Bills at the start of the Lent and Easter Terms include the additional charges - the bill for food consumed in the Buttery and Hall, Graduate Guest Nights, Society Dinners, printing - for the previous Term.   Students in their first year of study should take notice: because you are in fact purchasing those services on credit throughout your first term, the bill received in October will be rather smaller than later ones: you are not quite as rich as you think, and you should aim to have some money left over at the end of the first term, to cover those expenses, which will become due in January.

Whenever you make a purchase using your University Card at one of the three College tills (Hall, Buttery, and Porters’ Lodge) you will be able to check the balance owing, and this will give you an idea of how much you are spending, and will need to settle at the beginning of the following Term. (The Tutorial and Student Finance Manager is also able to provide you with this information, if you prefer.) The end of year Bill, with these additional charges for the Easter Term, will be sent to your University email address early in the summer vacation. Final-year students will, in addition to their usual charges, be required to pay an estimated amount on their Easter Term Bill. This prepayment will be used towards any variable expenditures incurred during their final term of study in order to clear any outstanding balance prior to graduation: any expenditure not covered by the prepayment is deducted from the deposit paid by each student in their first year, before any remaining credit balance is returned to them.   The deadlines for payment are printed on each Bill.


Payments can be made either electronically or via the Tutorial and Student Finance Manager, Mr David Graves (), Tel. +44 1223 7 60972).


Sidney Sussex College Website –

Home>SidNet>Students>Finance>Pay Your College Bill Online.

Direct Bank Transfer – Details available from the Tutorial and Student Finance Manager, Mr David Graves (), Tel. +44 1223 7 60972).

Tutorial and Student Finance Manager:

UK Debit Card

Cheque – Payable to ‘Sidney Sussex College’


Any queries you may have concerning your College Bill – including, for example, a need to settle in installments- should be addressed to the Tutorial and Student Finance Manager.


The college has a number of funds available for graduate student. Each of these must be applied for, and most are competitive. Applications for these funds are through the graduate tutors (students are advised to contact the graduate office in the first instance). Applicants should carefully read the eligibility criteria and the guidelines on the relevant form.

Graduate Research Expenses

Candidates for the degree of PhD and research-based MPhils are eligible to apply at any time during the first nine terms (or for MPhils, three terms) of their degree for further financial assistance with research expenses. Applications for research support must be shown to be relevant to the student’s research and must have the support of the research supervisor. Please be aware that the award of funds is a competitive process and the judgment of the Graduate Tutors will be final.

MPhils are formally classified as “research” or “taught” degrees by the Board of Graduate Studies. If you are unsure of your status in this respect, please consult the Graduate Tutors’ PA. Full details of the application criteria can be found on the application form.

Parry Dutton Student Fund & North America Foundation Fund

The Parry Dutton Student Fund is for grants to students for periods of travel, residence or study in the United States with the aim of strengthening Anglo-American relations. The North American Foundation Fund is for students from the United States or Canada only and is primarily aimed at MBA students at the Judge Business School, but other graduate students may apply. Please submit your completed application form for either of these funds to the Graduate Tutors' Office. (The application form is the same as for Graduate Research Expenses.)

The Adam Glinsman Award

The Adam Glinsman Award offers support to students of Sidney Sussex College from emerging economies, and can fund research expenses for PhD students who have a financial need for funding to undertake a specific programme of study or research that has the potential to make a significant contribution to life in emerging economies. Eligible students are encouraged to contact the Graduate Tutor's Personal Assistant.

College Travel Awards

Each year the college has a number of travel awards for the Long Vacation, some of which are open to graduates. To be eligible a student should have a confirmed place at Sidney Sussex for academic year after the summer for which the award is sought.

The application procedure and deadlines are the same for graduates and undergraduates. For more information visit the undergraduate Awards and Prizes page.

Awards for Music and University Sports:

There are some music awards that are open to graduate students participating in music activity. There is also a small award for those who play Blues Sports (applications for this are sought after by email towards the end of each academic year).

College Hardship Funds:

The College’s Student Hardship Fund, administered by the Tutors, provides financial assistance for students whose has had unforeseen financial difficulties. When the situation is purely temporary, the Tutorial and Student Finance Manager will be able to advise you and agree a rescheduling of your College Bill. When the financial problem cannot be solved in this way, you should contact the Graduate Tutors. The Hardship Fund can provide discretionary grants, typically ranging from reimbursement of incidental expenses incurred through illness, to partial rent rebates, to larger grants of several hundred pounds.


Follow this link to the Scholarships page.