skip to content

Graduate Finance and Research Funding


The College Bill lists the amounts you owe the College: it is issued at the beginning of each Term by the College Office. Any queries you may have concerning your College bill including, for example, a need to settle by installments, should be addressed to Tutorial and Student Finance Manager, Mr David Graves ().

Each Bill will include residential room charge, for those living in college, and the proportion of the Kitchen Fixed Charge (the set contribution towards kitchen overheads) for that Term. 

Graduate students have to pay their University Composition Fee – or that portion of it for which they are liable – via the College, at the beginning of the Michaelmas Term.


The Bills at the start of the Lent and Easter Terms include the additional charges - the bill for food consumed in the Buttery and Hall, Graduate Guest Nights, Society Dinners, printing - for the previous Term.   Students in their first year of study should take notice: because you are in fact purchasing those services on credit throughout your first term, the bill received in October will be rather smaller than later ones: you are not quite as rich as you think, and you should aim to have some money left over at the end of the first term, to cover those expenses, which will become due in January.

Whenever you make a purchase using your University Card at one of the three College tills (Hall, Buttery, and Porters’ Lodge) you will be able to check the balance owing, and this will give you an idea of how much you are spending, and will need to settle at the beginning of the following Term. (The Tutorial and Student Finance Manager is also able to provide you with this information, if you prefer.) The end of year Bill, with these additional charges for the Easter Term, will be sent to your University email address early in the summer vacation. 


Payments can be made either electronically or via Tutorial and Student Finance Manager, Mr David Graves ().


Sidney Sussex College Website –

Home>SidNet>Students>Finance>Pay Your College Bill Online.

Direct Bank Transfer – Details available from Tutorial and Student Finance Manager, Mr David Graves ().

Tutorial and Student Finance Manager:

UK Debit Card

Cheque – Payable to ‘Sidney Sussex College’


The College has a number of funds available for graduate students.  Applications for these funds are through the graduate tutors (students are advised to contact the graduate office in the first instance: Applicants should carefully read the eligibility criteria and guidelines below and on the application form.

All applications should be made using the research expense application form. Applications must include all relevant documentation, including booking confirmations or other clear evidence of expected costs. Successful applicants will be reimbursed upon presentation of relevant receipts. 

Applications for research support must be shown to be relevant to the student’s research and must have the support of the research supervisor.  All reasonable efforts should be made to secure funding from other sources before application to the College. College funding may be refused or reduced if it is expected that other sources are available and have not been approached.

Applications may be made to cover the cost of, for example: fieldwork, research outside Cambridge, conference attendance, course fees (but not University or College fees), library expenses etc. In the case of books, justification should be given (i.e. lack of availability in libraries, frequency of use etc).

The College will not normally accept applications for research consumables (e.g. chemicals, instrument charges, technician charges etc) and for equipment and consumables that would normally be provided by the student’s University department.  It will also not normally accept applications for computer equipment or software.

Please note that ordinarily you may not apply retrospectively. Failure to provide the receipts required may result in the amount of any award being added to your College bill.

Graduate Research Fund

Candidates for the degrees of PhD and MPhil (where the course is more than 50% research based) are ordinarily eligible to apply for expenses which will be incurred during the first nine terms (or for MPhils, 3 terms) of their degree. Very exceptionally, the Graduate Tutors may consider an application after this time. Applications for major items, other than conference attendance or thesis preparation, will not normally be considered after the first six months of the third year of residence. MPhils are formally classified as “research” or “taught” degrees by the Student Registry. If you are unsure of your status in this respect, please consult the Graduate Tutors’ PA.

Students may apply for research funds, with a cumulative maximum grant of £1000, with ordinarily a maximum grant of £500 per application and per academic year. Part-time PhD students may apply for up to £350 as may research MPhil students; if the student subsequently carries on to read for a PhD degree, the amount awarded will be counted towards the cumulative maximum grant. Students are not eligible to apply for any period during which they have intermitted (and that period will not count towards the nine-term limit); students who have leave to work away are eligible to apply for research funds (and, correspondingly, that period will count towards the nine-term limit).

Parry Dutton Student Fund and North America Foundation Fund

The Parry Dutton Fund is for grants to students for periods of travel, residence, or study in the United States of America with the aim of strengthening Anglo-American relationships. The North America Foundation Fund is for students from the United States or Canada only.  It is primarily aimed at MBA students at the Judge Business School, but other graduate students may apply. 

Grants are ordinarily limited to those in their first nine terms for candidates for the degree of PhD, or for students on one-year courses (MPhil, MBA, LLM, MCL, PGCE, CASM), the first three 3 terms of their degree.  Vet MB and MB students may apply any time during their nine terms of graduate clinical study.

As with the graduate research allowance, students are not eligible to apply for any period during which they have intermitted (and that period will not count towards the usual nine-term limit); students who have leave to work away are eligible to apply for research funds (and, correspondingly, that period will count towards the usual nine-term limit).

Students may normally apply for funding up to a maximum of £1,500.  In exceptional cases requests for a higher amount may be considered.  All applicants should be aware though that the award of funds is a competitive process and the judgement of the Graduate Tutors will be final.

Any award which may be given is conditional upon a 500 word report being supplied to the College within one month of completion of the research. Please submit your completed application form for either of these funds to the Graduate Tutors' Office. (The application form is the same as for Graduate Research Expenses.)

Graduate Lawyers’ Fund, Scott Morten Fund, Whittington Fund

These funds are available, respectively to those studying Law or Criminology (whether the Ph.D., the Diploma in Legal Studies, the Diploma in International Law, the M.Phil. (one-year course) in Criminology or Criminological Research, or the LL.M or MCL), to students visiting MIT, or visiting from MIT and to support students in Earth Sciences and Biology. They are available on the same terms as the North America Foundation Fund and Parry Dutton Student Fund.

Sports Awards

The University of Cambridge maintains a long tradition of student participation in sport.  The earliest known established sports club was the Cambridge University Boat Club in 1828, and now, nearly 200 years later, the University has more than 50 sports clubs.

The College makes small financial awards to those students receiving Blues or Half Blues, as a result of representing the University in their chosen sport, and who also perform satisfactorily in their academic work, i.e. a minimum of II.i in their Tripos examinations.  Students who are awarded a Blue or Half-Blue are asked to inform the Tutorial and Student Finance Manager, Mr David Graves ().

College Hardship Funds

The College’s Student Hardship Fund, administered by the Tutors, provides financial assistance for students whose has had unforeseen financial difficulties. When the situation is purely temporary, the Tutorial and Student Finance Manager will be able to advise you and agree a rescheduling of your College Bill. When the financial problem cannot be solved in this way, you should contact the Graduate Tutors. The Hardship Fund can provide discretionary grants, typically ranging from reimbursement of incidental expenses incurred through illness, to partial rent rebates, to larger grants of several hundred pounds.

Sidney Sussex is grateful to those generous donors who enable the college to offer a number of scholarships, studentships and bursaries.

  • Sidney is pleased to support the Fox International Fellowship at Yale University which enables the holder to spend an academic year at Yale University in the United States.

  • One Osborn Research Studentship (tenable by a student whose research lies within Medieval Art, Architectural or Cultural History) was awarded for three years commencing in 2019-20 academic year. This Studentship has been awarded in conjunction with the Cambridge Trust awards.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     It is anticipated that one new studentship will be awarded in 2020-21 admission round in conjunction with the central University awards.

  • Two Gledhill Research Studentships were awarded for three years commencing 2017-2018. These Studentship have been awarded in conjunction with the Cambridge Trust awards. It is anticipated that two new studentship (in AHSS and STEM subjects) will be awarded in 2020-21 admission round in conjunction with the central University awards.

  • Hanadi Jabado Bursary is open to female students from Lebanon who wish to study for an MBA at Judge Business School.

  • Joyce Coutu Scholarship is open for a North American female MBA student at Judge Business School.

  • Evan Lewis-Thomas Law Studentship (for research or advanced courses in Law or cognate subjects): There are three current award-holders (PhD, Law).  One new Studentship is expected be available in 2020/21 admissions round.  

  • One new Howard Research Studentships in Social Antropology has been awarded for three years commencing 2019/20. This Studentship will not be advertised as available again until 2012.
  • THE CHOIR OF SIDNEY SUSSEX COLLEGE, seeks to appoint four Graduate Choral Scholars (Soprano, Alto, Tenor, Bass) for the academic year 2019-20. Highlights for the coming year include tours to Singapore, Malaysia and Spain. Postholders will receive free singing lessons, two free formal halls per week during term as well as the usual remunerations as undergraduate Choral Scholars.
    More information, including an online brochure, may be found at, or contact Dr David Skinner, Osborn Director of Music, at