The 1596 Foundation is a society of benefactors to the College. It enables us to recognise and honour major donors during their lifetime and creates a very special bond between Sidney and its most generous supporters.
The 1596 Foundation provides an opportunity for the College to expand its community, and brings Fellows together with those who are helping maintain the College’s proud traditions as well as ensuring our future.
We believe relationships of this kind bring lasting benefits to Sidney.
The name of the 1596 Foundation was chosen in celebration of our first benefactor, Lady Frances Sidney, Countess of Sussex, who provided in her will for the foundation in Cambridge of 'some good and godlie moniment for the mainteynance of good learninge’ to bear her name. The foundation deed of Sidney Sussex College was signed on 14 February 1596, seven years after Lady Frances’ death.
To discuss how you can become a member of the 1596 Foundation, please contact the Development Director:
Dr Jillaine Seymour
Tel: 01223 (3)38864
1596 Foundation Members at Penshurst Place May 2011