This policy explains what information we gather when you visit the College web site, and explains how that information is used.
It is important for you to appreciate that the College web site provides extensive links to other independent sites, both within the University and elsewhere. This policy applies only to direct accesses to the College web site - URLs starting http://www.sid.cam.ac.uk/. You will need to consult the appropriate information on other sites for information on their policies.
In common with most web sites, this site automatically logs certain information about every request made of it. This information is used for system administration, for bug tracking, and for producing usage statistics. The logged information may be kept indefinitely.
We may collect and process the following data about you:
- Information that you provide by filling in forms provided on this website for a specific purpose. By supplying this information you are consenting to the University holding and using it for the purposes for which it was provided.
- If you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence.
The following data is automatically logged for each request:
- The name or network address of the computer making the request. Note that under some (but not all) circumstances it may be possible to infer from this the identity of the person making the request. Note also that the data recorded may be that of a web proxy rather than that of the originating client
- The username, when known during authenticated (logged in) access to the site
- The date and time of connection
- The HTTP request, which contains the identification of the document requested
- The status code of the request (success or failure etc.)
- The number of data bytes sent in response
- The contents of the HTTP Referrer header supplied by the browser
- The content of the HTTP User-Agent header supplied by the browser
Logging of additional data may be enabled temporarily from time to time for specific purposes. In addition, the computers on which the web site is hosted keep records of attempts (authorised and unauthorised) to use them for purposes other than access to the web server. This data typically includes the date and time of the attempt, the service to which access was attempted, the name or network address of the computer making the connection, and may include details of what was done or was attempted to be done.
Disclosure and uses of personal information
We use information held about you in the following ways:
- to ensure that content from our website is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer or device by gathering aggregate information about our users using it to analyse the effectiveness and popularity of this website
- to allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so
We may disclose your personal information to third parties in the following circumstances:
- if we have obtained your consent to do so
- when we are required or authorised by law, court order, regulatory or governmental authority to disclose your personal data
- if required to protect the rights, property or safety of Sidney Sussex College, its members or others.
Relevant subsets of this data may be passed to computer security teams as part of investigations of computer misuse involving this site or other computing equipment in the University.
In addition, this site uses Google Analytics to help us analyse site usage and to improve it. To support this, selected information about your interaction with the site is sent to Google for them to analyse on our behalf. For more information about Google Analytics see http://www.google.com/analytics/.
Use of Personal Data Collected from College Members
Sidney Sussex College Members are advised that any personal data supplied to the College will be held and used according to the terms of the Data Protection Act 1998. The information gathered may be used to send you Sidney Sussex or Cambridge University publications; to notify you of benefits, services, fundraising appeals and events and for the charitable purposes of the College.
When using third parties for large-scale mailings, Sidney will only use companies where the data is held in accordance with the Data Protection Act and is not held beyond the period necessary to fulfil the mailing or used for any other purpose other than that identified by the College.
You may opt out of receiving further communications from the College by writing to the Membership and Development Office or by emailing email@example.com.
You can find out more about our Data Protection Policy.